Monday 2 February 2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow...

This is going to be a very short post before I return to my audience recollections, simply for a quick update.
Update One: SNOW! We've had about 10 inches of snow, and for the first time in my life I've had an official school day. It feels quite extraordinary. I met up with some friends and had less of a snow-fight and more of a snow-wrestle, but luckily my newly acquired skiing gear kept my dry and toasty.

Update B: I've been cast as Anthony Hope in an am dram version of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street! I'm very excited as the part is a bit more demanding musically than I've done before, and a challenge is always good. So I'm very scared at the prospect of those top Es but I also can't wait! However, there's another youth am dram version of the play going on in the area, and some guys from my school are in both productions - rivalry in the drama department! However, this does provide me with a story to tell that has a moral! Oh yes, I'm trying to educate you as well as let you laugh at my endeavors. One of the members of the Other Play is called C and he's one of those actors who are just a little too over the top, a little too enthusiastic, a little too confident in their own abilities. Anyway, he auditioned for Sweeney and didn't get it; I however know the actor who did get it (O). I worked with him about three years ago, and even then he was very, very good. He's been at Arts Ed sixth form now for two years so I'm sure he's improved. C on the other hand believed that O didn't deserve the role. He made this view very clear on someone's Facebook wall, a someone who was 'Friends' with the director of his show, who obviously wasn't happy with this criticism. C has now been made to publicly apologise and been banned from all future roles in the company's shows.

Now, this says two things to me. One, it seems a little bit like karma and that he got his comeuppance, but I'm nice so we wont' say that. Secondly, sometimes it is really best to keep your opinion to yourself. The industry is very small and in this day and age with networking sites and suchlike, anyone can read anything. And thirdly, why put it on someone's wall! Seriously: email, private message, text, phonecall, MSN, letter, face-to-face, carrier pigeon - there are a hundred and one ways to let someone know something without making it very, very public. Fool.

0 comments: