Sunday 10 May 2009

Audiences Behaving Badly

I've been reading a fair few threads on Whatsonstage.com and got inspired by this article.


People within the thread basically talk about their pet peeves with theatre audiences, be it mobile phones ringing, sweet packets rattling or conversations held mid-performance. I have to admit, I've been fairly lucky whenever I've been watching anything. I've had the odd phone go off but nothing terribly drastic - someone in the thread witnessed a drunk hurling abuse at the actors on stage. Compared to that, I think I've had it easy and really shouldn't judge others.

But then, isn't any interruption that breaks the suspension of disbelief worthy of our condemnation? We've all paid good (and in some cases, lots of) money to come and watch the show or play, and we don't need some idiot who can't part from their Blackberry for two hours ruining our evening out. Last night I went to watch a friend's cousin in 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' at the Wimbledon theatre; the show was good, but about a quarter of the way through, the spell was broken by the electronic beeping from someone who couldn't even put their phone on silent, let alone turn it off. Why? Some on Whatsonstage cite new audiences to theatre being uneducated in the etiquette of theatre. Others claim they're just rude. Surely anyone can last two hours without receiving a text message with a joke to make them LOL? And if they cannot, they should (as I am guilty of) set their mobile to silent.

Something else that seems to set blood boiling over on the forum is what the posters have termed an 'Overlaugher', namely, someone who laughs too frequently and too loudly at things that really aren't very funny. Now, this one I have got experience of and it did get my back up. I probably speak about Spring Awakening too much over here, but it is my favourite new musical so I'm going to excuse myself. Anyway, those who have seen it will know that a crucial scene involves one of the characters asking another to whip her because she, "has never felt anything." After some persuasion, he does beat her but then explodes in rage and proceeds to punch her in the stomach and throw her to the ground. As you can imagine, it is a very tense scene and the first time I watched it I hadn't realised that my stomach was clenched until the scene was over and I had to relax. However, both times I have seen the piece someone in the audience seems to find this scene funny. How, I cannot imagine but its not only inappropriate but disrespectful.

When it comes to food in the theatre, I'm torn. I usually eat before going to see a play and I can easily last a few hours without a snack. However, I can understand that other people may want to eat and therefore bring something along with them, especially as this is already the norm in cinemas. However, I don't understand why people choose the noisiest foods imaginable - sweets in plastic wrappers, crisps, and now apparently even popcorn! Bring something quiet and discreet. When it comes to drinks - a bottle of still water is probably best, quietest and most thirst-quenching. You've come to watch and enjoy the show, not have a picnic.

Some on the forum have stated that these badly behaved theatre audiences are acting as though they've paid for their ticket and therefore can do what they like, and if this is true its quite a sorry, selfish state for British theatre. People do not seem to care about those around them anymore and how their experience is - they are going to do what they want, when they want it because they want to. End of. I do disagree with those who blame reality television casting for these audiences - the programmes bring in people who do not usually attend the theatre, it is true (and in my opinion, a good thing) but most of these people have probably at least been to the cinema and know how they should behave in a public place - decently with respect and courtesy for others. Its not that they haven't been taught how to behaviour in the theatre, its more that they either haven't been taught how to behave in public or that they just don't care. I'm inclined towards the latter.

0 comments: