Wednesday 13 May 2009

The Sun Sets for Spring

This is really sad news: the London production of Spring Awakening, which was set for a run into October, is closing on 30th May 2009, after only a few weeks in its West End home. This show was beautiful, poignant, energetic; it literally took you from one emotion to another, between songs of sorrow like 'Left Behind' and 'Those You've Known' to upmost glee in 'Totally Fucked' and 'My Junk'. Its easy to blame other shows for Spring's demise: television casting, well known revivals, even the recession. But its simple - not enough people were going to see this amazing show. Its demographic was already fairly small compared to the big hitters of the West End and most people in that group hadn't heard of it. The last time I went, the stalls were almost full but the dress circle was less than half filled and the royal circle, empty. Unfortunately in the current economic climate, a show that is not making enough money, however acclaimed it is critically, just cannot survive. This show brought new people to theatre and showed what a musical can really be. I also desperately wanted to be in it.


I'm luckily going on Friday and I'm going to try and get day tickets for the final performance - I'd really like to show my appreciation for the immensely talented cast and a show that has really touched me. Hopefully I'll be able to.

0 comments: