Sunday 3 May 2009

Spring Time

My last post seems ridiculously long ago and in that time a ridiculous amount of things have happened so it seems ridiculous that I haven't written sooner. Ridiculous.

About two weeks ago I went back to Abacus to have my headshots done which was very exciting and fairly nerve-wracking at the same time. A good headshot can make or break a career and, knowing how important it would be, I got up very early to make sure that I was both looking my best and would make it there in time. Upon arrival, it appeared that an accident-induced traffic jam on the M25 meant that everyone who was meant to be shot before me hadn't arrived and therefore I was to go first. I quickly changed, checked my hair and went into the studio. The photographer was quite friendly although very blunt; at one point he pointed at my face and said, "I'm going to edit them afterwards so that spot there and that spot there, they'll all be gone." Cheers.

After that I went to visit 'the girls in the office' who were all very friendly, and they showed me how my Spotlight page will look. I also threw in a LOT of hints about Spring Awakening auditions and how much I'd like to play Melchior =P They also gave me my contracts to sign, so my life is now bound to them, woo!



My friend S is back from uni in Norwich this week, and I'd already told her to go and see Spring Awakening. She did and loved it, and wanted to go again before she went back. I rang up, booked stage tickets because she hadn't sat on stage and when the operator offered me stage right I had to politely ask, "Could we sit stage left please?" This was merely for perving reasons - I'm not going to say anything more than that. So this Wednesday we rushed up to London after I finished work (spending almost 15 pounds on a train ticket and parking in the process) and saw the show at the Novello which, for me, was the first time at that theatre. The show was amazing, so much better than the second time. I think it was partly that I knew more about it and also the cast had more experience now. I almost cried when Moritz kills himself and then couldn't stop smiling a minute later as the cast bounced around the stage belting out 'Totally Fucked' I love that song. Sitting stage left, I was actually right behind Aneurin Barnard who plays Melchior for a fair part of the show and at the interval I noticed some girls in the audience pointing at me and showing their friends. Suitably embarrased if a little pleased, I turned away.

The second half of the show was brilliant too, although as it neared the end I was sad it was over already! The cast came and did an encore of 'Totally Fucked' which I got quite into and was very nice.

Afterwards S and I went to the stage door, where we were informed that the cast were currently doing a Q&A and would be out soon. Now, they had done two shows that day, then a Q&A... if it was me I would've come out and gone straight home! However, they all stayed for ages to talk to us, sign things and take photos. Luckily they came out almost one at a time so we were able to talk to almost all of them. S sort-of knew Edd Judge so we talked to him for a fair while which was awesome, and also spoke to Charlotte Wakefield who plays Wendla - she is tiny! Before they came out, S and I joked that when Aneurin came out she wouldn't be able to speak and when he did come, she waited for me to start talking before complteley butting in =D. He was really nice, spent a good while talking to us and we had a conversation about us looking similar - at one point he said we could be brothers, and at another he said I could be his understudy and go on and perform whilst he goes for a pint. S joked he shouldn't have said that, I actually would go do it!

Some American women there asked him how to pronounce his name, which they butchered and then said how amazing he was to which he replied: "Don't say that, I won't be able to fit my head through the stage door!" Then S came and asked if he'd had a break yet and he said he wasn't meant to but last week he dislocated his rib and had to go to hospital and have it popped back in. Then he proceeded to lift his shirt and show us - S was very impressed.

Then the Americans asked to have a photo and I offered to take it so they both could be in it, and then I asked if I could have a photo with him which S took - its made a fair few people jealous and people have commented on how similar we look!

I think now, if I get an audition for the next cast, I should walk in and proclaim, "Aneurin said I could be his understudy, now gimme the part!"

0 comments: